South-South News is a 21st century media platform dedicated to covering the stories of global development from the United Nations, governments, the private sector, and civil society.
Launched in February 2010 during the Sixteenth Session of the United Nations General Assembly High-Level Committee on South-South Cooperation, South-South News works in close collaboration with the UN, specialized agencies, governments, leading global businesses and civil society groups to advance the implementation and progress of sustainable development objectives.
In its initiatives, South-South News recognizes the importance of all stakeholders who participate in development work, as well as the essential role of the media in bringing the major issues to light. Using the latest digital media tools, targeted high-level interviews of leaders and development experts, and special coverage of important events from the United Nations system, public and private sectors, we disseminate news from around the world that contributes to a narrative about the global South not widely reported in mainstream media sources.
South-South News has travelled around the world covering events on development, with many stories produced in partnership with the United Nations and its agencies, private sector companies, civil society organizations, and other distinguished groups; We have interviewed thousands of personalities, including heads of state, senior government leaders, celebrities, and development icons; And produced award-winning exclusive coverage of major global events or themes, thus helping drive sustainable development forward.
We also shed light on the growing role of South-South and Triangular Cooperation as an effective tool in helping governments and institutions meet their development goals. In addition to its media work, South-South News helps facilitate public-private partnerships that promote and sustain South-South and Triangular Cooperation.
An era of globalization that has brought prosperity to some has also exacerbated social, economic and environmental challenges for others. Meanwhile, a rapidly changing media landscape is narrowing the public's attention on limited stories with narratives that often neglect the human dimensions of poverty, inequality, conflict, and climate change.
We believe that a new narrative must be told – one that embraces the innovation, dynamism and diversity of the global South, while providing information on global development, and always maintaining a strong focus on sharing news in a way that celebrates the stakeholders who are making great strides in fighting against social, economic, and environmental problems.
The challenge of promoting sustainable development has seen governments harness new methods to scale up successes, for example by partnering with the private sector in transformative ways. South-South News is a platform that will help facilitate the growing shape of public-private partnerships by recognizing key areas of success and sharing knowledge about best practices in South-South and Triangular Cooperation.
We also recognize that the media can be a powerful tool in helping promote sustainable development. Around the world, there are organizations and people who are making progress on reducing poverty and helping drive sustainable development forward, and their stories should be told. South-South News is a platform to share those stories, and in the process, become a voice for the global South as it helps build a better future for all.
Main Objectives of South-South News
• Produce and disseminate valuable news, stories and updates on the key areas of sustainable development from the United Nations, governments, civil society, and the private sector;
• Interview the heads of multilateral organizations and agencies from the public and private sectors that are involved in executing and implementing initiatives directed towards achieving sustainable development;
• Interview and feature various political leaders from countries of the global South to obtain first-hand information on the challenges and successes in the implementation of the MDGs and SDGs as part of their national development goals and visions;
• Document and feature success stories and solutions from the global South that demonstrate effective means for addressing sustainable development goals;
• Establish linkages with the major global media outlets so as to increase and improve the content of reporting on Southern issues and success stories in the world's press and other media;
• Facilitate and support funding campaigns on behalf of media-related initiatives that promote development (e.g., governance, e-commerce, and information and communication technology [ICT]);
• Champion the digital super highway of the South, particularly in promoting data movement and the free flow of information;
• Promote and establish partnerships and alliances through strengthened South-South and Triangular cooperation;
• Facilitate and support public-private partnerships between key stakeholders to create important development initiatives across the global South;
• Establish and create relationships and initiatives with the private and public sector for the purpose of business development;
• Produce and/or sponsor awards, in collaboration with the Millennium Development Committee and others, to recognize and honor the countries, organizations and individuals that are making progress towards achieving the UN's development agendas;
• Identify and collaborate with partner organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, Latin America, Asia-Pacific, and the Caribbean, as well as with various institutions in the United Nations system.